Happy New Year! I hope you all are starting the new year with clean make up brushes. If not, no worries! We are here to help. Many of us often forget how important it is to keep out make up brushes and blenders clean. Whether you wear makeup everyday or only for special occasions, clean brushes are essential for healthy skin. Unsure of how to wash your brushes? Let’s discuss.
1. Rinse the bristles with lukewarm water. Don’t use hot water since it could ruin the bristles. (If you are cleaning oil-based makeup, add a drop of olive oil or coconut oil to a paper towel and gently swirl the brush before rinsing with water. This will loosen the makeup and make it easier to clean.)
2. Fill a small bowl with lukewarm water and add a few drops of baby shampoo. Baby shampoo is gentle so it’s perfect for cleansing without being too harsh on your brushes and blenders.
3. Gently swirl the brush in the bowl and massage the bristles with your fingers.
4. Rinse the bristles with lukewarm water and continue massaging the bristles.
5. Depending on how soiled the brushes are, you may have to wash and rinse again.
6. Gently squeeze out the excess moisture with a clean towel.
7. Reshape the brush head with your fingers.
8. Let the brush dry with its bristles hanging off the edge of a counter. Don’t dry it upright, otherwise the water will seep into the base of the bristles and loosen the glue that keeps it together. Also, remember to never leave your brushes to dry on a towel because this can cause mildew.
9. When the brushes have dried, fluff them with your fingers and store them for the next use.
Be sure to wash your brushes at 2-3 times a month. You will protect your skin and eyes from irritation and your makeup will apply more smoothly. Let us know in the comments if you have any questions or additional tips for keeping brushes and blenders clean.